Tuesday, June 23, 2015

School Library Sites

This week I had the opportunity to look at school library websites.  I found that there were some really good ones, and some…not so good ones.  I believe taking this class has my eye already looking at things a bit differently.  

The first one I liked was Chapel Hill High Library in Chapel Hill, NC.  I initially like this site due to how simple it was.  Some sites I went to were so dark, or too busy and I didn't even want to spend the time looking at the page.  As I was searching the site my attention was caught by the “Battle of the Books” link.   It seems to me that this is a book club that meets in the library weekly.  Students can click on the cover of the book and that links to a description of the book, or a book trailer.  The library catalog was easy to use and there were links to various databases.  Something else that jumped out to me was the “Writing” link.  This gave students information about citing sources, copyright, and how students can publish their work or enter into writing contests.  I thought this site had a lot to offer the students of the school, as well as having a fantastic look.

 I also thought that SIS Elementary Library has a great site.  Each grade level has a list of topics that the students will cover in library.  Something I really enjoyed about this site was the links to various author websites. There was an infographic for parents about why children cannot skip out on their twenty minutes of nightly reading and questions parents can ask their child when they’re reading.  On the “kids” link, there us a place for the 5th graders ( the highest grade level) to recommend books to other students.  I thought this was a great way for the kids of the school to have ownership of the library!

I am hopeful that my webpage has some great ideas like these!!

No comments:

Post a Comment