Musings of my adventures in becoming a school librarian while teaching sixth grade
Tuesday, June 16, 2015
Some Many Podcasts To Choose From
Listening to podcasts this week was a fun and educational experience. I love that I could listen while I was doing dishes or driving to school in 95N traffic (yuck!!). I don't typically find myself as a podcast listener, but I enjoyed looking through the lists at the various podcasts I could listen to. There were so many to choose from. As a social studies teacher this year, History Chicks caught my eye. What I really liked about this was their podcasts are about different women in history. There were many women they have discussed throughout history that are in my current curriculum. I thought this would be an awesome tool to share with my students. I could have them listen to them at home, or in the classroom as a center, or select a person in history we have studied and share what they have learned with the class or in a journal.
The podcast I listened to was about Laura Ingalls Wilder and how she started as a child living with her family and growing into the author of the Little House series, which is based on her life. There were a few references that I think some kids will not understand (they briefly mentioned the tv show Cheers), but it doesn't seem to take away from the educational aspect.
Here is one of the podcasts I listened to:
http://thehistorychicks.com/?p=283
I would love to use more podcasts in the classroom (or future library!). I think it's a great way for kids to learn. Students are so tech savvy, they would rather listen to a podcast than listen to me talk to them all of the time.
There are so many podcasts out there to listen to, I'm sure there is something that will connect to everything we're doing in school.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It was great reading your post on podcast. I was pleasantly surprised that you used a podcast that I also highlighted on my blog. I am a history teacher and was very taken with a history podcast dedicated to sharing information about females in history. I would be curious of learn of your interest. I intend to use some of these podcast with my world history students next year. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete