Wednesday, July 15, 2015

3D Printers, Coding and Robots



This week we read about 3D printing, coding and robots.  Advancements in technology are changing the way we teach and children learn.  These tools are wonderful and have great uses in a school.  Of these three, I see coding as something that can be done in any school, with any child.  This would be an awesome skill for kids to have and work on year after year.  I think 3D printers will only be in select schools, and perhaps may not make their way to an elementary school (at least not after the high schools and middle schools get them) for a long time.  Robots, although, adorable and helpful are also expensive and as much as I would love to have a friend like this in the school library, I don't know if they will be everywhere just yet.  It was fun to read about and think of the possibilities. 

3D Printing:

If only I could have a 3D printer in my school!  3D printers have been in the news a lot more lately.  I recently read an article about a boy who received a prosthetic hand made from a 3D printer.  That's so cool!  I think children having access to this technology will open a lot of doors (and imaginations!) for learning.  Students are able to take their ideas and watch them turn into something real.  I think that is the most important part about having access to a 3D printer in a school..it needs to be created from the mind of the child.  I think having this technology in a school would require a lot of training on the staff members using it, as well as showing the students how to make objects that are worth printing.

Coding:

 I was excited to read about coding this week.  The technology specialist at my school made it her mission to teach coding to every child in the school.  They loved it!  After talking with this teacher, she was excited that the girls were having a blast with coding and were really good at it. I noticed this also mentioned in the articles we read.  Living with a generation of kids who are technology and video game obsessed, it's a fun way to get them to create the things they love to do!  Coding allows children to be creative thinkers and problem solvers.  Sometimes those skills cannot be taught from a book or in a classroom sitting at a desk.  Why not give them the tools and teach them how to code! 

Robots:

My heart melted when I saw MEDi and Musio this week.  What a fantastic way to give children comfort and ease in a unfamiliar or uncomfortable situation.  How could robots be used in a library?  I see students who are ESOL, reluctant readers, or children with special needs really finding support with a robot in the library. The child could read to the robot, or vice versa.  I think it would be a great way to get students engaged and excited about visiting the library! 


1 comment:

  1. You pointed out a really great use for robots in the library! I think you're right, that reluctant or special needs students might be more engaged with interaction with a helpful robot, because approaching people can be intimidating!

    ReplyDelete