Musings of my adventures in becoming a school librarian while teaching sixth grade
Monday, August 3, 2015
AASL Best Websites
I loved looking through these websites and I cannot wait to share these with others! The websites on the AASL Best Website list are all very user friendly and very engaging. I think students would LOVE using these sites in the classroom. I'm really inspired by many of these and I really, REALLY look forward to using them in my classroom.
The following are a few of the sites that I thought were the most interesting (and useful) to me:
Pear Deck: Logging in using a Google login, this website allows you to create a interactive and engaging classroom. Teachers, or librarians, simply create a Pear Deck slide presentation by either uploading a Powerpoint, a file from the Google Drive, or educators can create their own. Students will need access to laptops, or a tablet device in order to participate in the presentation. I think this is much more engaging way for students to interact in the classroom. Teachers can ask questions (this can be preplanned, or not) and students respond by either clicking, drawing or typing. Once the teacher has the responses he/she is able to share those with the class. This could also be done in small groups, such as a reading group, or students can work with partners, as well. I would use this in a library after finishing a read aloud, or to tie into content areas. A teacher would use this tool in the classroom as pre-assessments, unit reviews, or for instruction.
StoryboardThat: This site is very fun! I had a great time putting together a storyboard for a Native American history lesson. Students are able to make their own story by adding their own setting, characters and text. There are several different scenes and characters to choose from. The possibilities of creativity are endless. Students could create their original story, create a comic version of a classic tale, or this could even be used in social studies to write about an event. I really liked the historical scenes and characters selections. I think this would be a great site to use with students who are reluctant writers.
FlipQuiz: What I liked about this website was that I could see this being used by any teacher in a school. I am one that enjoys using review games at the end of a unit, or as a review for the SOLs, and this is a really easy way to create a game. I liked the timer is on the screen rather than having to use a stopwatch, or a clock. The tip on the AASL website was for librarians to use this as way to get students engaged in the library. I think if used at the beginning of the school year to review with routines, procedures and expectations, this could be a fun way to kick off a new year rather than boring and talking at students.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You've peaked my interest in Pear Deck. I really liked your idea of using Pear Deck as a tool for pre-assessments.
ReplyDeleteYou've peaked my interest in Pear Deck. I really liked your idea of using Pear Deck as a tool for pre-assessments.
ReplyDelete